Scott’s practice is grounded in the philosophy that equitable resolution of conflict is possible in every situation. For the past thirty years, Scott has assisted husbands, wives, children, and relatives with their family and estate law matters. The hallmark of Scott and his team is their trial advocacy.
Scott is recognized state-wide as leading family and probate practitioner. He has been named a Super Lawyer for thirteen years and a Top 40 Family Law Super Lawyer by Minnesota Law and Politics. Scott has a Martindale-Hubble AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rating.
Scott is also a highly sought after mediator in family and estate disputes. He is a qualified Rule 114 neutral, and formerly served as the vice-chair of the Minnesota Supreme Court Alternative Dispute Resolutions (ADR) Ethics Board.
Community involvement and contribution is a priority of Scott and his firm. Scott is a past chairperson of the Faribault Regional Center Board of Review; past member of the Rice County Community Health Service Advisory Board; President and member of the Board Directors for Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc. (SMRLS); past Chairperson and member of the Faribault Planning Commission; past Church of Sacred Heart – St. Lawrence Parish Council Member; and past President of the Rice County and Fifth District Bar Associations.
Scott is married and the father of three children. Scott and his family enjoy travel and spending time at their cabin in the north woods.
- St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN – B.A. magna cum laude
- Hamline University School of Law, Saint Paul, MN – J.D.
- Supreme Court of Minnesota
- United States District Court for the State of Minnesota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eight Circuit
- Qualified Rule 114 Neutral
- Farm Divorce: Represented wife in dissolution involving numerous farms. Secured substantial cash and real estate settlement with lease back options to former spouse.
- High Asset Divorce: Long term marriage. Case involved significant valuation of real estate and personal property issues. Secured cash award to spouse payable within 24 months.
- Maintenance Divorce: Long term marriage. Case involved substantial non marital assets. Included valuation of dental professional practice. Lump sum buyout of wife’s spousal maintenance claim.
- Closely Held Business Divorce: Represented owner of closely held construction company with valuation exceeding 5 million dollars. Case involved business valuation, tax planning, and spousal maintenance claims.
- Antenuptial Agreement: Represented farmer with net worth 7 million dollars in negotiation and preparation of premarital agreement which limited spousal maintenance and provided transfer of assets on death to his heirs.
- Child Custody Action: Successfully tried parenting time case defeating father’s claims for 50/50 parenting time. Secured guideline child support.
- Child Custody/Divorce: Complex dissolution with non marital claims. Custody and parenting time disputes submitted to custody evaluation. Parties participated in mediation. Joint physical and legal custody, structured parenting time arrangement negotiated.
- Guardianship: Successfully tried guardianship proceedings establishing incapacity for 21 year old diagnosed with Schizophrenia.
- Conservatorship: Successfully tried conservator’s petition to make Last Will and Testament for protected party who died during the pendency of the litigation.
- Estate: Successfully defeated claims of undue influence and coercion in drafting Last Will and Testament. Nominated Personal Representative confirmed and estate distributed pursuant to terms of Last Will and Testament.
- Trust: Successfully managed and distributed Trust assets in excess of 10 million dollars. Continue to manage sub trust with assets exceeding $750,000