Steven takes great pride in finding practical solutions for difficult problems faced by his clients. He advocates for clients in family, probate, and civil litigation cases, including related matters such as trust and estate litigation, guardianship and conservatorship implementation, and actions involving real property. Steven enjoys interacting with his clients, and getting to know them and their goals.
Steven is a former Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Judge Thomas M. Neuville, who is chambered in Rice County, Minnesota. Prior to practicing law, Steven served as an assistant to a U.S. Congressman, and later, held various advisory positions for State and Federal candidates and Officeholders.
Steven is committed to service. He is a former member and chair of the Cottage Grove Planning Commission; a member and outgoing President of the Rice County Bar Association; former President of the Fifth District Bar Association; a Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) Delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates; Member of the MSBA Judiciary Committee; Member of the MSBA Out-State-Practice Section and Family Law Section; Member of the Richard T. Oakes American Inn of Court; former Board Member of the Karen Organization of Minnesota; and member of the Board of Governors for Five Oaks Community Church. Steven also serves as a volunteer attorney for Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services.
Steven has an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell for legal ability and ethical standards.
Steven enjoys countless projects and activities, including skiing, cycling, hunting, and home improvement. Steven is married and the father of three young children.
- Hamline University, Saint Paul, MN – B.A.
- Hamline University School of Law – Dispute Resolution Institute – Certificate in Dispute Resolution
- Hamline University School of Law, Saint Paul, MN – J.D. magna cum laude
- Supreme Court of Minnesota
- Supreme Court of North Dakota
- Highly contested family trust involving farm land and equipment. Significant pre-trial litigation and motion hearings, which were resolved in client’s favor.
- Post Decree motion for modification of custody and parenting time resulting in full reversal of prior custody order.
- Proceeding to protect emotionally and financially exploited person. Contested trial involving expert and lay witnesses leading to appointment of Guardian and Conservator. Multiple post trial hearings resolved in Petitioner’s favor.
- Defended client against opposing parties’ motion to reduce child support. Court ultimately increased moving parties’ monthly support obligation to client.
- Initiated Order for Protection on behalf of client’s child. Court granted the protective Order after hearing and modified temporary custody and parenting time to protect the child.
- Successfully defended a request for an Order for Protection against client.
- Collected from judgment debtor who covertly transferred real property to avoid collection by fraudulent transfer.
- Reopened four decade old Court Order in Estate to correct legal description of real property, which allowed current beneficiaries to sell property and to collect proceeds.